Thursday, December 15, 2011

How can I prepare myself for my first Chemistry lab session? What are the things to note?

How can I prepare myself for my first Chemistry lab session? What are the things to note and what should I read up on so that I am well prepared for my first chem lab session? Thanks.|||Being a chem major at a state university, there are a few things I'd recommend:





1) Show up on time.


2) Read the experiment which you'll be doing. Sometimes the instructor will make you write out the procedure in your notebook. While boring, it's a great way to be affiliated with the procedure before you actually do it.


3) Obey the safety precautions. You never know who may spill hydrochloric acid on you when you least expect it.





Other than that it's pretty self-explanatory. You'll become more acquainted with the lab when you attend more frequently. Just be careful and everything will be fine.|||If you were given a lab manual, be sure to read up on the processes and theory behind what you are doing. It is likely you will cover some general lab safety before going into lab. If you know what chemicals you are working with, look up their molar masses to make any future calculations as easy as possible.





Hope this helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment