Thursday, December 15, 2011

I am going to take an orientation session next Mon, should I shake hands with others who I first meet?

I am going to take an orientation session next Monday and it will be my first day at work. (I am in Canada.) So should I shake hands with others who I first meet during the orientation? Should I introduce myself to others but not only wait for introduction from others?





By the way, how about my first meeting with my colleagues? Should I shake hands with them?





Please help, thank you!|||Are you germ phobic or something? Socially awkward? If you're socially awkward, don't worry about the hand shaking (unless someone offers their hand, then just do it firmly/professionally real quick). Just focus on the job and be a good employee.|||If you're going the kind of orientation where you'll be with other new-hires, don't worry. Nobody will know what to do. But the HR folks running the orientation will know. If there's to be a training period, most likely the trainer will have everyone introduce themselves and give a brief background (what brought you there). Otherwise, folks just hang out and talk during breaks, and you get to know people that way. As far as shaking hands, unless you're starting in a top-level position and meeting other top-level execs, it's not warranted. Just be pleasant and friendly, and you'll find your niche.|||Just go along with everybody else. They probably don't know any more about orientation (whatever that is) etiquette than you.

No comments:

Post a Comment